Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Jim asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Is It a Cultural Thing for Chinese to Refuse and then Accept Gifts / Help?

I live in an area that has become mostly Chinese in NYC and I have noticed this among them?  Whenever I would give someone a red money envelope for Chinese New Year they would say Oh No, No, No! and I have to pretty much make them take it.  When it snowed and I offered to help some neighbors shovel they would also initially refuse my help until I started shoveling myself.  It’s not like this happened with a couple of people... almost every Chinese person was like that with me.

"Face" is an important factor in Chinese culture, and they certainly wouldn't want anybody to think they are soliciting a gift from you, but if they refuse first, it shows they are not greedy or trying to take advantage of you.  They will most likely want to do something for you in return.  

maybe you should ask them this question