Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

Why do we still need covid restrictions if the most vulnerable have already been vaccinated?

This is NOT a rhetorical question and I do NOT deny that there are still reasons to have restrictions, I am just curious who we are protecting at this point if the only people without the vaccine in the US are largely healthy and young...

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Because we still do not want people to die.   So what if the most vulnerable have been vaccinated,  how about the adults 18 to 60?   How about kids?   And it is mutating.   The English version has a higher transmission rate.   The South African version is deadlier.   We do not know for sure if any of the three vaccines will protect against the mutations.   So why drop our guard just because the mask and social distancing is a pain?     We still see as many people catching it as last summer.    Until the transmission rate is less than 5% we need to keep on trying to mitigate the transmission. 

• 1 month ago

The vaccine only reduces the risk by about 94-95%; it does not completely eliminate it.

And not all of the most vulnerable have already been vaccinated.

• 1 month ago

the most vulnerable have NOT all been vaccinated

• wave
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Good question. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Zirp
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

The vast majority has not been vaccinated.

"most vulnerable" is defined by statistics. Just because you are young, slim and healthy doesn't mean that you are immune to covid-19 or won't get serious symptoms if you catch it

• 1 month ago

MANY of the restrictions are more about controlling PEOPLE than about Covid-19. There are several scientific arguments that most to the restrictions are actually more dangerous to public health than Covid-19. The fact they are dismissed as disinformation, instead of disproven on their merits, is actually evidence of my claim.

• 1 month ago

Vaccination reduces the transmission , incidence and severity of the disease -- it doesn't stop it , and we are still nowhere near reaching the best position we can achieve on this --  when "herd immunity" is achieved .

Before we reach that , how many sick and dying people would you be comfortable with having ?

• 1 month ago

REALLY? 

And where did you get this "Information?"

My wife and I are both 66 and unable to get the vaccine.

• Ivan
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

They haven't been though. There is still a shortage of vaccine in many places across the country.

• Mog
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

That’s not the case in my state. Some of the most vulnerable have yet to be allowed to get vaccinated. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.