Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 month ago

What could be a reason why one would not know about some common-known things?

I’ve (27F) been dating a guy (24M) for about 5 months now. He’s sweet and kind but I’ve realized he doesn’t know about a lot of things that I thought almost everyone knew about. Usually I’d explain things without shaming him, but in my mind I’m always thinking “....no way he doesn’t know about that”. Here’s a list of some examples:

- He didn’t know Barbados was a country, let alone a place.

- He didn't know you had to change your toothbrush every 3 months.

- He didn’t know there was a North & South Korea

- He didn’t know about the situation in North Korea (as in, how they hate our guts or about the missile situation, etc. He just knew that Korea was “bad”)

- He didn’t know who Amanda Bynes, Brittney Spears, the Backstreet Boys, and a couple of other popular pop artists are

- He didn’t know he could stay on his parent’s health insurance until he was 26.

- He didn’t know that melanin or jibberish are words

- He didn’t know that “Central America” was a thing, nor the countries in Central America (Panama, Nicaragua, etc) exist

- He thought there was a difference between NYC and Manhattan (we live in NJ)

- He didn’t know what a migraine is

- He didn’t think that Texas was a part of the United States. He thought it was its own country.

And they’re other minor things too. Sometimes I question his judgment as well, but that’s another story. Is this normal? Btw he did graduate from university, studied Criminal Justice, and is trying to become a police officer.

• Foofa

The bottom line is probably that he's just not all that bright and not too interested in finding out about things. 

He's uneducated or just not very bright.  Judging from what he thought about Texas, I'd say his problem is the latter.  

I can excuse someone not knowing pop culture references, but this guy seems criminally under-educated. Could he have been home-schooled or attended a religious organization's school and never once tested to meet any state standards?

I'm astonished he could get a legitimate college degree with huge gaps in common cultural knowledge. (And maybe he didn't? Diploma mills exist and are happy to separate would-be graduate from money.)

Worse, though, is that he's not a kid now and has chosen to remain ignorant. Clearly he doesn't follow the news or know what's happening in the world through other means. He doesn't read. He doesn't manage his own finances like health insurance. He doesn't travel.

Sweet and kind are nice, but I'd want a man who doesn't want to be an idiot and it working hard not to be, not a fool who thinks Texas is its own country. Sorry, but I'd break up with him and recommend you do just that.

• drip

Well some of this stuff is irrelevant. Who care if anyone knows who Amanda Barnes is. 

Texas being it’s own country is rather odd to say the least.    Migraine commercials on on TV all the time. 

Sounds like he never took a basic geographic class or reads the world news.

Some people don’t pick up on the world around them. Parents don’t teach them. They don’t read.

Some people lack reasoning skills. They are not intuitive.  

What you need to ask yourself is if you can live with a person like this.  

Nice guy but he is as dumb as a fencepost.

Was he raised in a cult of some kind, or maybe [poorly]  home schooled? I'd need proof of that University degree!   Maybe some non-accredited on-line school?  I don't know  what's wrong with him, but I know he aint right. 

• Kieth

Because you are dating an idiot.