Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Can being honest ever be considered rude or inappropriate?

Just wondering because people say that its the best policy. 

• It depends on the situation. Also is it an honest opinion or an honest fact? I can't stand people who give honest opinions and say it in front of others to hear, especially when they know nothing of the truth.

If you feel being honest will hurt someones feelings, you can give some advice instead.

I supervise people at work, I will never tell someone that they are incompetant even if they are, instead I will provide advice to improve. And if they don't improve than they will be let go.

• denise

It can be considered 'inappropriate' if something 'honest' is said that upsets someone, we have to know when to be tactful and what to keep to ourselves.

It is considered so when the intention is to make someone look bad in the eyes of others. That is not the purpose of honesty to discredit someone for ill intentions

• ?

Honesty is the best policy in most situations, but there are certainly exceptions, such as when you might hurt someone's feelings, or when it will cause trouble.

Examples of when to not be honest:

* When your child asks if you like his artwork

* When a woman asks if she looks fat

* When your boss asks if you would mind working overtime

These socially acceptable lies are called "white lies" and are proof that honesty is NOT always the best policy.

If a murderer is chasing Asclepius, and you see him hide in the root cellar, and the murderer asks you whether you have seen Asclepius and if so where he went, what would you say?  I would say I saw him go the opposite direction.  That's a lie.  But Life has priority.  

depends on what youre saying

Only cowardly bullies use the 'honesty is best policy' line. I've known and seen a few use this to cut people down/hurt/humiliate them. Whilst they were being (technically) 'honest' many times they were voicing their 'opinion' when it wasn't even asked. When the other person was hurt/got angry, they always replied 'I'm just being honest'. DECENT people don't abuse honesty like this. LMAO - I've had it with a couple of these people, after yet another of their 'honesty speeches' where I (finally) told them what other people were saying about THEM behind their backs. EACH of these people cried!! That's another thing about these people spruiking honesty - they can't take it when someone gives it back to them . . .   

Its not what you say but how you say it. There is a time and a place for everything. 

Yes if used without tact.

It can be. If someone asks what you think of their new outfit, there's no need to tell them they look fat.