Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMathematics · 1 month ago

Is there something wrong with my data? My scatter plot looks weird. Any tips to make it look more like a scatter plot? Thank you x)?

Attachment image

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

It might look a little better if you made it taller and narrower, putting the markers for literacy fractions further apart, and the markers for income amounts closer together.  However, it will still be clear that literacy ranges widely among poor countries, and that income levels range widely among highly literate countries.  And that there are NO very wealthy countries with literacy rates below 90%.  In that way, the plot tells you just what you would expect !

Following llaffer's suggestion -- what if you make the income scale logarithmic?  So that the difference between 10000 average income and 20000 average income has the same width as the difference between 5000 and 10000; and then the difference between 20000 and 40000 has the same width as the difference between 10000 and 20000.  The graph will still get the point across -- that only highly literate countries are rich.

• Dixon
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You could try taking the log for the x and/or y axis and see if it straightens out

• 1 month ago

Looks like a scatter plot to me.

If you were expecting something that looked more random or looked more linear, that's exactly what these data points aren't showing.

This shows that it's more logarithmic.  There's a large spike to almost 100% early on then flattens out and stays in that upper 90s for most data points on anything past 10,000 on your x-axis.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.