Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Racist Bar patrons joke about your mixed kid, you confront them, knock his wife out when she gets in your face. Brawl ensues. Who's liable?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

I agree that the Racists started the trouble and sounds like they also were engaged in fighting. They deserve the arrest 

• 1 month ago

Self-defense is generally legal to prevent an unwanted assault when you are reasonably certain it is about to happen, but only if you use "reasonable and necessary force".  You do NOT have to wait for someone to hit you first, although that is usually an easier case to prove than one in which you prove you were in fear of imminent harm when she "got up in your face" and you had no choice but to gently push her away.

Many people have been killed by the "first punch" and self-defense law  is intended to make sure the bad guy goes down before he can harm the victim.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The person who threw the first punch.

• 1 month ago

Liable?  That's a financial term and yeah, you are liable for her medical expenses if any.  

You could also be charged with a criminal offense and be sentenced to jail or house arrest.  

Choose carefully.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

You go to prison for assault and battery, maybe manslaughter if she dies, and then you get sued for medical expenses and damages.  Your family is ruined because of the costs, including your attorney's fees and loss of your income.

• 1 month ago

You are.  LEGALLY words do not justify a physical assault.

• 1 month ago

I want to know what the joke is so I can tell it to my friends.. Was it a good one..?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

To a leftist, the patron is liable.  To the sane, both of you are.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You are.  You're guilty of assault.

• Susie
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You.  If you touched first. Doesn’t matter what was said.   If you initiated physical contact first then you are liable.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.